Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Moving Can't Be Painless: Part 1

I know, it's been a bit.  Here is the Cliff's Notes synopsis.  We moved.  Computers remained unplugged for over a week.  (The shakes started wearing off after a few days.)  Moved crap around.  Broke things.  Fixed things.  Built things.  (It amazes me more and more how companies can send extra pieces for bookshelves... has to be a psychological trick to make us feel stupid as we re-read the instructions for the 49th time.)

I have to say that the physical move went great and a big Thank You goes out to my brother-in-law Greg and friend William.  Let's dwell on the move for a moment.  Kerry and I picked up the U-Haul early and went straight to a store to pick up some furniture we ordered.  We then headed to the house to start unplugging the computers, loaded up the delicate items in her car and prepped the big items for loading up.  Greg and Willie arrived and we loaded up a few items going to my Dad's house and then everything else joined the party.  We were mainly concerned about the big items as there were many and we left more than we should have (but didn't have much more room in the truck.)  We then drove to the new place and dropped off the goodies and ate lunch.  We then went to my father's and dropped off some big items for him and loaded up a lot of items that he'd been holding there for us.  Off we went to the new place to drop off the stuff.  I was able to drop off Willie and the U-Haul in time to not get charged.  (I'm not going to mention the turn signal light issue to save time.)  I then ran to the old house to see if there was anything we'd need for the night.  Called the wife and told her I'd call when I got closer to the new place to pick up food on the way back.

So, it seemed like a busy day already.  Right?  I take these items over to Greg's house and add two tired dogs to my cargo (as my sister-in-law Kelly watched over them during the move.)  I'm now heading out and I get a frantic call from the wife saying, "Head home!  Head home!," and, confused as I can be, I reply, "Which home?!"  It didn't help matters.  Needless to say, my son David was working as hard as a one-armed child could (seeing as he broke one in a scooter accident.)  While helping out by breaking down boxes, he cut his wrist open...  he screamed, ran towards where his mom was (and this is where I lose track of the story because from my later view of the crime scene... it looked like he ran circles around the house.)  Kerry took him to the emergency room while I continued to drive home.  I had a heck of a time keeping the dogs away from the puddles of coagulating fluid.  Oh, did I mention the nice new cream colored carpet at the new place?  No?  Well, I got acquainted with it for 3 hours as Spray & Wash with Resolve works wonders but requires a lot of elbow grease.  (Leave it to me to leave the steam cleaner at the old house.)  I finished moments before they got back from seeing the doctor.  David earned 3 stitches, a lot of praise for being a 'big help' and a wrapping covering his unbroken other arm... yes, his best hand for doing anything was at the end of a cast now.  Great for the upcoming CRTs.

I have a photo stashed away somewhere but... it was a painful but satisfying move.  David's cast was removed a week later and he still has the stitches in.  He's also getting to know the neighborhood really well.  Anyhow, there is more to the move but it'll have to wait.  Still have more stuff to get done around here but wanted to check in and let you know what's been going on.

No comments: