Saturday, April 09, 2022

Post-Trip Considerations And Fetching Offers


Just a pleasant day hanging out with the dogs.  We missed these girls on our trip.  Thankfully, David took good care of them.  I don't know if they get more possessive after we've been gone or not.  Hope the snuggles make up for it.

I figured that I should fill you in on what has been going on since the flight back from Texas.  Well, we had several delays due to miscommunication from the airline we took.  This left us with way too much time on our hands (like more than half a day at just one of the terminals.)  Kelly and Greg were browsing online job prospects in Texas.  And, I can't say I blame them.  It's beautiful out here and, for us, it is going from a metropolis of over 3 million to a county (Bell) that in 2020 had just over 153,000.  I have to admit, we even looked at home prices and jobs in the area.

Walking the dogs later that week we saw several homes in our development up for sale.  There is something human about comparison and, when you see a home that looks like yours nearby for sale, you get curious as to how much they are selling it for.  Anyhow, then during one of our cuddle sessions with the dogs in front of the TV, a commercial comes on for OfferPad about finding out how much they would offer for your home.  Kerry and I looked at each other and said, "What can it hurt to find out?"

The gears that were slowly digesting the idea just a few weeks ago started moving a little more.  And the offer we received -- was for more than that other house (that I think was renovated more recently.)  We suddenly had to seriously consider things.  Kerry's job gives her the ability to continue working remotely.  I know that Kerry would like to move but, with all my family here in Vegas, she would never ask me to relocate.  I would have to make a career change but the physical wear on my body was not going to improve.  The benefits of small town life, David having a steady job and already looking to move out...maybe using the equity in our home while the market is exploding would be the smart thing to do.

I would say we took days to contemplate it and weighed the possibilities but I think we were on the doorstep before we called to ask about our home's value to the buyer.  We cleaned up a little, let them come and do an inspection of the home and decided to do it.  When asked if we wanted a 30-day, 60-day or even a 90-day close of escrow, we went for the latter.  It will give us time to maybe get rid of some stuff, gain some paid time off from work and organize ourselves.  Looks like these dogs are getting a new home.

No comments: